Posted by: Tyler Rippeteau
Oct. 6, 2011
Last month I announced the Avery Project and began the process of reviewing 20 Avery Brewing Company Beers here at 20 Beers in 20 Nights. In that announcement I also mentioned that I would simultaneously work on another project – The Barleywine Project. Well, I have finally reviewed the first beer on that list and it is time to officially launch the project.
The Barleywine Project will be very similar to the DIPA Project. Like the DIPA Project, the list of beers for the Barleywine Project will consist of the Top 20 Most Often Reviewed American Barleywines on Beer Advocate, in other words, the 20 most popular Barleywines according to one of the largest and most informed beer communities on the planet.
Just as was the case with the DIPA Project, the Barleywine Project consists of a number of seasonal brews, beers which are not distributed where I live and even two beers that are no longer produced. In fact, none of the beers on this list are available year-round, they are either seasonal or available on a rotating basis. So this list will be much harder for me to complete than the DIPA Project and a ton harder than the Avery Project.
Just in case you were too lazy to click that link above, listing which Barleywines will be on this list, here you go:
1. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale – Sierra Nevada Company
2. Old Horizontal – Victory Brewing Company
3. Old Ruffian Barley Wine – Great Divide Brewing Company
4. Third Coast Ale – Bell’s Brewery
5. Olde School Barleywine – Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
6. Hog Heaven Barley Wine – Avery Brewing Company
7. XS Old Crustacean – Rogue Ales
8. Olde GnarlyWine – Lagunitas Brewing Company
9. Flying Mouflan – Troegs Brewing Company
10. Founders Nemesis – Founders Brewing Company
11. Doggie Claws – Hair of the Dog Brewing Company
12. Backburner (Imperial Barley Wine Style Ale) – Southern Tier Brewing Company
13. Behemoth Blonde Barleywine – Three Floyds Brewing Company
14. 30th Anniversary – Jack and Ken’s Ale – Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
15. AleSmith Old Numbskull – AleSmith Brewing Company
16. Barleywine Style Ale – Green Flash Brewing Company
17. Smuttynose Barleywine Style Ale (Big Beer Series) – Smuttynose Brewing Company
18. John Barleycorn Barleywine Ale – Mad River Brewing Company
19. Bourbon Barrel Barleywine – Central Waters Brewing Company
20. Old Boardhead Barleywine Ale – Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub
Of these 20 beers, about six or seven of them should be easily attainable for me here in Colorado, a few others might require some extra hunting in the local liquor stores and bars and still a few others should be attainable for me through trips back home to Chicago over the holidays, but it will undoubtedly take some trading and/or travelling for me to complete the list. So, if you have access to any of these great beers (particularly Founders Nemesis) or know where I can find them, please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email to StoneTSR@gmail.com. I will be happy to work something out for some of our great CO beer.
As mentioned above, I have already reviewed one beer on The List, so stay tuned to 20 Beers in 20 Nights for the next few days to find out which one it is.